As part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, the National Landlords Association (NLA) reminds all landlords of the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of maintaining any gas, oil, wood or coal-run appliances.
Faulty appliances can cause carbon monoxide (CO) leaks. CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas which is highly poisonous and can kill within hours or cause serious illness through long-term exposure. Symptoms of poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.
Landlords are required, by law, to have gas appliances checked every 12 months and to provide the inspection report to the tenant. Only a Gas Safe registered engineer should carry out gas work. Landlords should also install carbon monoxide detectors in their properties. These detectors will warn tenants of a leak.